Corn steep liquor is a high-protein, high-energy feed ingredient made from the soluble parts of the corn kernel through a steeping process. It is a viscous liquid mixture consisting entirely of water-soluble components of corn steeped in water. CSL is a kind of byproduct produced in the processing course of corn starch.
It is widely used in liquid form in pig and ruminant feeds and as a binding or pelleting agent in other feeds. Corn steep liquor is a premium additive to the cattle & fish feed. Owing to the high nutrition content (rich in vitamins, lattice acid, and proteins) of the Corn Steep Liquor, it is valuable for Enzyme, Animal Feed, and Pharmaceutical industries.
Applications for use
- It is used as a nutrient for microorganisms in the production of enzymes, antibiotics, and other fermentation products.
- It is sometimes combined with other ingredients in corn gluten feed and widely used in complete feeds for dairy and beef cattle, poultry, swine, and pet foods.
- It may also be sold separately as a liquid protein source for beef or dairy rations.
- Cattle Feed – Swine / Ruminants
- Fishing Bait
- Binding agent
Nutrition analysis of CSL
It contains 40% CP and 75% TDN. Thus, it is an excellent source of energy, protein and phosphorus.
- Dry matter- 50 %
- Crude protein- 40 %
- Fat- 0.4 %
- Sugar- 2.5 %
- Ass- 17 %
- Lactic Acid- 25.8 %
- Citric acid- 7.8 %
The moisture content is about 50%. Because of high moisture content, it requires special care for its storage. However, by mixing wheat bran, rice bran or rice polish at 40% level, it can be stored and transported easily in drum.
- As well as soluble proteins, vitamins and minerals, Corn Steep Liquor contains organic acids.
- Corn Steep Liquor can be added to improve feed pellet quality and as a binder.
- Corn Steep Liquor is a yellow/orange liquid, used as a multi-nutrient raw material and effective feed pellet binder.
- Corn Steep Liquor is an excellent source of rumen degradable protein for cattle, goats and sheep. It combines well with fibre rich materials to stimulate rumen microbial protein production.
The product is packed in 250kgs HDPE drums. It can also be customized as per individual requirements. Corn steep liquor is a by-product of corn starch manufacturing industry. It is available to the extent of 0.01 million tone in India.
Animals benefit from the addition of energy and protein components to their feed. The ingredient containing energy, protein and fibre can be included in a wide variety of ruminant feeds.