Animal-based protein sources for making livestock feeds. You know that Protein is an essential part of the diet. It helps to build, repair, and maintain the body’s structures. There are two sources of protein to make animal feeds. Animal protein is an important part of poultry and fish feeds.
Sources of animal-based protein for livestock
There are a variety of sources of animal protein that can be used to supplement the diets of livestock, including:
- Meat and bone meal: This is a byproduct of the meat industry and is made from rendered animal carcasses. It is a rich source of protein, but it has been linked to the spread of certain diseases, such as bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE, or mad cow disease).
- Poultry by-product meal: This is made from the ground, rendered, and dried parts of poultry, such as feathers, feet, and organs. It is a good source of protein and other nutrients.
- Fish meal: This is made from whole fish or fish by-products and is a rich source of protein and other nutrients.
- Milk products: Milk and milk products, such as whey, can be used as protein sources for livestock.
- Plant-based protein sources: Legumes, such as soybeans, peas, and beans, are also commonly used as protein sources for livestock.
It is important to carefully balance the use of animal protein sources in livestock feed to ensure that animals receive the necessary nutrients for optimal growth and health
Popular animal protein sources for making dairy, poultry, and fish feeds.
- Fish meal analog
- Dried fish
- Meat and bone meal
- insect meal
- Meat meal
- Poultry meal
- Blood meal
- Feather meal
- Animal protein concentrate
Nutrition of animal-based protein sources
This protein source contains a high amount of crude protein and fat. It also has many minerals and amino acids. Animal protein is also a source of metabolic energy.
- Protein: 40-70%
- Fat: 5-8 %
- Fiber: 4-8 %
- Metabolic Energy: 3100-3300 K.Cal/Kg
Use for making feeds
Generally, it can use 5-15% in complete feed. Mainly depended on other feed ingredients and animal recommendations.
Read also: Plant protein sources for animal feeds.